[Dixielandjazz] Sacramento Dixieland Jazz Music Festival

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Wed Jan 24 11:50:36 EST 2018

Listmates,

As most of you know by now, the 44th Sacramento Jazz, Dixieland, music
Jubilee has been canceled for 2018. The festival just could not get ahead on
the bills. Its really been tough the last few years as most festivals know.
Most have also quit, or are just barely making it.

Hopefully something will be done in the future.

Here is an interesting email sent to me by the Managing Editor, Music and
Arts of our local NPR station, Capitol Public radio.

Hi Bob,
Here's the link to the Insight segment you were on:

https://archive.org/download/Insight-171219/Insight-171219a.mp3

The other article on our website was just a collection of radio pieces we
did over the years related to the Jubilee.  Gary Vercelli wrote a short
intro, which I've copied here as follows:

This week organizers of the Sacramento Music Festival announced that after
44 years, the festival would be coming to an end.

During most of the 1990's, CapRadio presented 12 hour live broadcasts from
the Sacramento Jazz Jubilee (later to be known as the Sacramento Music
Festival), featuring a wide variety of bands performing everything from
traditional jazz and blues to Latin jazz, zydeco and gypsy swing.

Our live broadcasts continued into the 2000's but were shortened to 6 hours.
I have many memories of sharing ideas at the broadcast table with great
international artists and coordinating matters (many times on the fly) with
the assistance of Paul Conley, Mark Jones, Nick Dragos and Matias Bombal.

Our own Mick Martin was an annual presence at the festival, organizing blues
sets and performing with his own Blues Rockers.

The late bassist Roger Krum, who in addition to serving as executive
director of the Sacramento Traditional Jazz Society, which produced the
festival, also kept extremely busy performing all weekend with the Fulton
Street Jazz Band. He was a joy to work with in planning our broadcasts.

— Gary G. Vercelli, Jazz Music Director

Then the article continues as follows with some archived audio:

We produced several radio features over the years related to the festival.
Here is a sampling from the CapRadio archives:
In 2003 we talked with Mick Martin about the history of the blues at the
Jazz Jubilee.
http://www.capradio.org/media/9900945/fest%202003%20blues.mp3

Traditional jazz bands from other countries were always a big draw at the
festival.  Steve Milne filed this story about Hungary's Hot Jazz Band in
2003.

http://www.capradio.org/media/9900958/fest%202003%20Hungary%20Hot%20Jazz.mp3

And Paul Conley put together this feature about Scotland's Fat Sam's Band in
2004

http://www.capradio.org/media/9900971/fest%202004%20Fat%20Sams%20Band.mp3

>From the start a major focus of the festival has been on raising funds for
youth education. Steve Milne did this story on one of the STJS-sponsored
youth bands, The New Traditionalists (TNT), in 2004.

http://www.capradio.org/media/9900984/fest%202004%20youth%20band.mp3

Here's another story from August of this year featuring Bria Skonberg who
performed numerous times at the festival as soloist and with her former band
Mighty Aphrodite.
Canadian Jazz Star Bria Skonberg Keeps Strong Ties To Sacramento

Paul

Paul Conley Managing Editor, Music and Arts
T (916) 278-8928 | F (916) 278-8981 | paul.conley at capradio.org
Capital Public Radio | capradio.org | 7055 Folsom Blvd, Sacramento, CA 95826
Listener-supported public radio | Licensed to Sacramento State
NEWS   90.9 FM Sacramento ∙ 90.5 FM Tahoe/Reno ∙ 91.3 FM Stockton/Modesto ∙
88.1 FM Quincy
MUSIC  88.9 FM Sacramento ∙ 91.7 FM Groveland/Sonora ∙ 88.7 FM Sutter/Yuba
City -30

Bob Ringwald piano, Solo, Duo, Trio, Quartet, Quintet
Fulton Street Jazz Band (Dixieland/Swing)
916/ 806-9551
Check out my performing schedule: www.ringwald.com/schedule.php
Amateur (ham) Radio Station K6YBV

“If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed,
if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed.” -- Mark Twain

---