[Dixielandjazz] Wave

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Mon Jan 22 19:34:45 EST 2018

There are tales of Harrysweets Edison reprimanding a junior for ignorance of the Great American Songbook... Any further reference to this should mention no names -- although you can quote me as having been at the gig.There was absolutely no inkling in the audience that quite that was going onHarrysweets managed to be off mike all the time he had his hand on the youngster's shoulder
the drummer had great ears and heard it(this was also the only occasion I heard the man play without consistent swing)and he told some musicians and friends immediately afterwards (he was in quite a state)It is true that the opening number the young man did not know was "Out of Nowhere"

Anyway at another gig another venue another year Harrysweets called his feature number as "Wave" I've seen the same happen to (yes!) Hank Jones, so it's no shame the celebrated pianist didn't have the right chords
He didn't have wrong chords either, and there was no pause between the start of the performance and the piano entrythe only space was where Harrysweets was maybe on HawaiiHis accompanist was in a Holy Roller Chapel
Perhaps the music could be reconstituted as Hawaiileluya?

Robert R. Calder