[Dixielandjazz] Asking your advice and taking opportunity to brag a mite about Pensacola?s downtown library jazz room and jazz programs.

Les Elkins leslie.r.elkins at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 21:56:22 EST 2018

Perhaps not appropriate since it's a work of fiction, and it isn't on DVD
as far as I know (and I'd love to be proven wrong!), "The Gig" (1985) is a
fun movie with some recognizable names and entertaining music. The problems
faced and overcome in the flick will be recognized by most on this list.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089203/

Available on VHS, though it has been converted and put on Youtube
(thankfully, as the only copy near my hand is very well worn from being
passed from musician to musician).

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvylTr70z2S3Y16ETPixB_pUDo6bvgnW0

-Les Elkins

> Now we?re asking for your comments and advice.  Library and our jazz
society plans a series  of  jazz-related movies for a free series this
summer.  We want it to be reasonably accurate and well produced.  For
example, two suggestions have been Round Midnight ( stars Dexter Gordon)
and Clint Eastwoood?s Bird, the excellent movie about Charlie Parker.

> What other excellent movies, now out on DVD, would you suggest to
complete the series?
> ( After selections are made, library staff has to research permission to
show in public)

--
"NEVER use a maj7 chord in any bar that is named after a deceased NASCAR
  driver, a large-calibre firearm, or an intoxicated farm animal."