[Dixielandjazz] funny old Spanish Dixie song

jim at kashprod.com jim at kashprod.com
Wed Feb 28 09:48:17 EST 2018

Just found this on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHGwbtY7vBo

The other side of the single is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-_DiBw0JG8, but is not quite so Dixie.

The band was basically a song writer/singer + Madrid session musicians.  I’m
on trombone
.recorded around 1973.  The pianist is our pianist, Fernando
Sobrino, and the trumpet was our trumpeter at the time, Joe Moro (a real
Madrid Jazz Legend at the time!).  I worked with Joe (José), for around 8
years, seven nights a week, from midnight to 4 am!!  He passed away around
the mid 70’s.  I thought he was old then, but I think he was about the age I
am now!!

Anyway, the song lasted about one day on Spanish National radio.  It was
during Gen. Franco’s days, and it was considered in poor taste!  The words
are about “not being original” & goes on to tell you not to watch TV, and to
walk around the streets with a urinal on your head, don’t put your finger in
your nose.  Not really too outlandish, but it was going too far for the
times.

The name of the “band” was “Desde Santurce a Bilbao Blues Band”.  Santurce
is a town near the north coast town of Bilbao, and there is a great song
that we used to play with Joe Moro (he was from Santurce!) called “Desde
Santurce a Bilbao”.

I actually played once for General Franco in Santurce, which is kind of a
bit of a historical note.  For me it was a gig, not a political statement!

Jim