[Dixielandjazz] Blues My Naughty Sweetie...

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Sun Feb 11 23:29:40 EST 2018

This topic came up on the Facebook DJML group - is the patter verse of Blues My Naughty Sweetie Gave To Me something that somebody added on at some point?

I am no expert on the song, don't have the original sheet music, but I did find this 1919 version with the "stop time" bit included, so I think it is as written...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNt2Dpu0rM8

The only other version I have heard includes the words "Sweaty Nighty" as sung by the late (and lamented) Dave "Whoopee Fingers" Cotter - banjo player in several California bands.

Dave Richoux

Ringwald wrote:

Thanks Dave. Interesting.

I learned Naughty Sweetie from a banjo player named Will Tallacksen in the 1960s, complete with the patter chorus. He played it in the speakeasy’s in Chicago in the 20s. He even played for Capone.

Never heard the verse before though.

We recorded it with the Bob Schulz Frisco band a few years ago with Schulz singing.  It was one of the last recordings that Jim Rothermel recorded before his death. That CD is available from Schulz on his web site.

There is a video on YouTube with him singing it with a jam session at the Sacramento Jazz Jubilee. We had 3 members of Fulton Street and 3 sit ins. Here is the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzziJ50aAEc

If my memory is correct, Clancy also recorded it with Bob Scoby as a vocal.

Best -Bob Ringwald

---