[Dixielandjazz] Turk Murphy tunes

Dick Baker djml at dickbaker.org
Mon Dec 31 13:40:11 EST 2018

At 09:00 AM 12/31/2018, Jean Marc Ternois wrote:
>For 2019, my band and I have the project to build a program with only tunes
>credited to Turk Murphy like : San Francisco Jazz, Turk's Blues, Brother
>lowdown, Mesa' Around, Red Eye, ...
>
>We already play : Minstrel of Annie Street, Little John's rag, I am Pecan
>Pete, Five Aces, Something for Annie, This Way Out,  Bay city, Trombone
>Rag, Red Flannel Rag.
>
>Could you help me to find other tunes to play ?

First, you probably should strike Red Flannel Rag from the list.  In
researching my Stomp Off Tune Titles & Composers Index (see
http://stompoff.dickbaker.org/Stomp%20Off%20Index.pdf) I got this
note from Robbie Rhodes:

"'Red Flannel Rag,' as played by Turk Murphy, is exactly the same
song as 'Lazy Luke (A Raggy Drag), (c) 1905 by Geo. J. Philpot.  When
confronted with this simile, Turk could only stammer that he didn't
know what happened."  A good guess is that Turk had heard the tune
many years before, but had long forgotten it when the melody came back to him.

Others might include

Little Enough (Chauncey's Tune) (Queen City JB attributed it to Turk
when they recorded it recently)
Social Polecat [aka Turk's Blues)
The Grump (attributed to Turk by Uptown Lowdown JB)
This Way Out (attributed to Turk by West End JB)
Razzy Dazzy (attributed to Turk by Black Diamond JB)
If There Were No Christmas (m. Turk, w. Michael Hulett on Turk's Xmas
record for See's Candy)
Christmas Eve (m. Turk, w. Michael Hulett on Turk's Xmas record for
See's Candy)

The "attributed" items are not in the Stomp Index, so I didn't do any
confirming research on them.  I've got all those recordings, though,
and I'd be happy to send copies of those tunes to anyone who wants to
learn them.

For what it's worth, by the way, when Turk played "Red Eye" for our
Potomac River Jazz Club in 1979, he announced that he wrote wrote
"Red Eye" with a name that sounded like "Pat Bannon" (it's a little
unclear on the tape).  Does anybody recognize that name?

--
      Dick Baker
  djml at dickbaker.org