[Dixielandjazz] Si Tu Vois Ma Mere

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Dec 15 15:24:30 EST 2018

> On 15 Dec 2018, at 10:21 AM, Charles Suhor <csuhor at zebra.net> wrote:
> If that's the meaning, it doesn't seem to match the lovely melody. I wonder too what the lyrics would be, if there are any. :), :)

Dear Charlie,
I posted the following on the DLML on 15 March 2006.

"Dear friends,
"I'd post these on the DJML but, when using plain text, I can't figure out how to format the lyrics so they come out readable.  Maybe you can transcribe them and post to the DJML - that WOULD make lots of DJML'ers happy!!".
OK then.

"Si Tu Vois Ma Mere (Lonesome)"
"If You See My Mother" (1952. Music, Sidney Bechet. 1958. Lyrics, Jean Broussole)

English version:
'If you are going to see her and the great love that has abandoned me
Far from the thoughts that start to go away for-ever.'
[8 bars]

'And if you see my mother,  tell her,  tell her that I haven't written her
So great the pain it breaks my heart
Tell her for me my sadness I would have needed tender looks,
And her soft hand, to take my hand and tell her
And I shall return, sadly, close to her white hair.
Re-find my childhood heart.'
[24 bars]

I have several band versions of the song (including Bechet and Wilber) but none with a vocal.
Therefore, I am having some difficulty matching the sentimental (soppy?) words to the fine tune. It probably makes more sense in French, which I would not dare attempt to transcribe.
Over to the singers.
Kind regards,
Bill. "

•PS (Dec. 2018):
It is in my copy of 'Anderson', 1294 under the title "If You See My Mother" (Lonesome) 1958 (Lyrics. Jean Broussole. Music: Sidney Bechet) with both English and French lyrics, using the above lyrics. (Copy attached in a separate email.)

•While on the subject, you may also be interested in listmate Dick Baker's research in the supplementary Annotated Notes to his 2014 publication:
Stomp Off Records Index of 3,828 Tunes and Composers.

Si tu vois ma mère [If You See My Mother] [I Remember When] [Lonesome] (Sidney Bechet–Jean Broussolle)
Paramount JB of Boston 1247
Grand Dominion JB 1379