[Dixielandjazz] Support live jazz

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 09:46:10 EST 2018

Last Monday, two friends and I went to hear Dennis Lichtman with Mona's Hot
Four in Kfar Saba (a town very near to my home town Raanana) paying tribute
to Benny Goodman and Sidney Bechet.
The programme, quite appropriately, started with Goodman's greatest hit
"Sing, Sing Sing," albeit much shorter than the original.  Then came
"Petite Fleur," with an excellent arrangement.  Other songs played included
"He Ain't Got Rhythm," a tribute to a Teddy Wilson group which included BG
as a sideman; Lichtman sang the lyrics as a tribute to the vocalist on the
original recording, Bile Holiday, "Rose Room," "Cakewalking Babies from
Home," and more.  On two numbers Lichtman played his electric mandolin in
tribute to Charlie Christian.  The tunes were from the BG repertoire, but
without the clarinet.  The group also played two Lichtman originals
inspired by the Queens quarter in NYC - "A Waltz for Camilla"  and
"Midnight at the Piers."  The programme ended with Bechet's "Dans les Rues
d'Antibbes."  As an encore the band played something I do not recall (but
I'm going to hear the group tomorrow at the Tel-Aviv Museum, so I may have
a chance to find out).  The trumpeter Gordon Au and the pianist Dalton
Ridenhour also contributed some excellent solos; I was particularly
impressed by the massive left hand of the pianist when the other rhythm
players stopped playing.
Lichtmans' entertaining stories added charm to the programme.
And I should not forget the other members of the group: Sean Cronin (bass)
and Larry Eagle (drums).