[Dixielandjazz] "Randwick Saturday Blues"- FRANK COUGHLAN & HIS LUCKY SEVEN

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Dec 6 17:42:07 EST 2018

> On 2 Dec 2018, at 9:09 AM, Marek Boym <marekboym at gmail.com> wrote:
> While trying to make some order n my mailbox I came across this one - pretty good.
> https://youtu.be/VXJQqgBixkc
> Cheers
> On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 at 03:14, <richard.flecknell at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Try this one Chaps,
> In my search, un-aided (?), for Aussie Trad Truth I found Coughlan on Youtube.
> Can't stay around too much, much too much to do!
> Richard in Search of the Jazz Classics from Oz.

Dear Marek,
I was waiting for my ole mate and DJMLer Jack Mitchell to comment on that one.
It was a small contingent from Frank Coughlan's very popular professional Australian dance orchestra.
Here are the details from the Jack's Australian Jazz On Record Discography (available as a pdf on CD-rom).

FRANK COUGHLAN AND HIS LUCKY SEVEN: Frank Coughlan –t, tb, v; Les Dixon –tb; Andy McIntosh –cl; Ron Murray –ts; Jim Riley –p;
Dennis King –g; Tommy Wallis –sb; Bobby Bell –d. Sydney, March 18, 1950

•THAT DA DA STRAIN 				Wilco O-112; Bluebird 74321105302; Soundabout AHS-05
•SLIPPIN’ AROUND –FCv 				Wilco O-109; Tasman W-040; Australian Jazz Reissues AJR-002
•RANDWICK SATURDAY BLUES –FCv 		Wilco O-109; Tasman W-040; Bluebird 74321105302
•WHERE YA GONNA GET ANOTHER SWEETHEART? –FCv 	Wilco O-112; Australian Jazz Reissues AJR-002
•JUST BECAUSE –FCv 				Wilco O-111; Australian Jazz Reissues AJR-002270
•CARRY ME BACK TO OLD VIRGINNY 		Wilco O-111; Bluebird 74321105302; Larrikin LRH-428

In 1950 (when it was released) some of we younger moldys (but not Jack) did not accept it as a proper jazz group.
'Randwick' is a famous horse racing track in Sydney, Australia.
https://www.australianturfclub.com.au/royal-randwick/
Cheers,
Bill.
PS for Jack:
Our Sydney DJML Listmate Anton Crouch rang me yesterday to point out that there is no vocal on this side.