[Dixielandjazz] Dukes of Dixieland & Marek

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Fri Aug 31 13:34:48 EDT 2018

Yes, I knew that Marek was not a Dukes' fan, but have heard various cons about them over the years even on this list.  Seems folks either are for or very much against them!  As someone else said, as a machine for early inspiration, they filled the bill for me.  The bass line was always very present in their recordings, and I learned to hear the chords by following those lines, eventually not only playing the bass lines on the trombone, but branching off further with improvisation while playing along with their records.  Ok, some of the songs put out on AF records could be corny, but the real Dixie tunes were played with great swing & clarity.  I don't understand the comments about the banjo & tuba songs, as there was an equal amount of songs played with string bass.  Their recording of L-O-U-I-S-I-A-NA displays a light swinging rhythm section and a great vocal.  How can one complain about that?  Anyway, it seems to be another one of those subjects that will never be agreed upon.  For me, my personal thanks to a band that got me on the road I have travelled all my life!

Jim Kashishian

⁣Sent from TypeApp ​