[Dixielandjazz] Reviews of Don Suhor CD

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Thu Aug 30 01:47:43 EDT 2018

Hello, Bert— Glad you dug the CDs. Yes, Don played all styles of jazz but the most calls were understandably for Dixieland gigs on clarinet. Trumpeter Wendell Brunious wrote to me, "I admired the way he could go from style to style seamlessly and flawlessly." On Wendell's "Dippermouth Blues" track Don plays the traditional Dodds solo then moves with ease into his "dixiebop" synthesis. Even on alto sax he often blended styles. The Don Vappie quartet has a multi-style ball on "South Rampart Street Parade" because all the guys have bebop skills and deep roots in New Orleans music and they knew how to have fun by crossing the lines.

Charles