[Dixielandjazz] Spiegle Willcox (was 94 yr old trombonist)

jbutler6 at twcny.rr.com jbutler6 at twcny.rr.com
Mon Aug 27 10:55:15 EDT 2018

Spiegle lived in my vicinity in upstate NY and I first met him in 1964 in Syracuse when he came in with some of his band to a club called the Belmar where the Salt City Six was playing. Over the years he sat in with the various bands that I played in such as Gene Mayl's Dixieland Rhythm KIngs and the North Country Preservation Jazz Band.I have a private recording of him playing with Bill Rank that was made at a club in Syracuse.He was a character!
Jim Butler

---- Bill Haesler <bhaesler at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> > Marek Boym <marekboym at gmail.com> wrote:
> I heard Spiegle Willcox (born 1903) in either 1993 or 1996.  He recorded in Holland in 1994.

Dear Marek,
Not only did I have the pleasure of meeting Spiegle Willcox (2 May 1903 – 25 August 1999) I also accompanied him for a bracket of tunes when he sat in with Peter Strohkorb's Hot Gossip Jazz Band, on tour in southern Germany, in July 1995.
He was amazed that not only did I know who he was, but that I had copies of his early records with Jean Goldkette.
A gentle person and with friendly it.
His business card has the following message:
"Old Trombone Players never die...... they just slide away."
Cheers,
Bill.
Sp