[Dixielandjazz] Late night gigs!

M J _Mike_ Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Thu Aug 23 08:15:25 EDT 2018

>>>Bill Haesler wrote about our late night gigs in Spain.  Actually, the hours are much earlier  than they used to be.  When I first came here 52 yrs ago, I played nightly from midnight to 4am!  Many days I worked as a session musician in the studios from 9am to 9pm, on top of the night work.  Of course, I was 26 yrs old!
Eating habits in Spain govern somewhat the entertainment hours.  Breakfast is non existent, lunch is at 3pm & is huge, and dinner is anytime after 10pm, but in the summer is more likely to be 11 or 12!  Dinner is just a light snack.
Gigs at 9 and 10pm are kind of forced these days by noise regulations, however, more than eating habits.  Jazz joints tend to be on the street with apartments above them.
Discoteques, however, never open before 1am, and the youth wouldn't think of appearing before 2am.  They go on until dawn!  Discos tend to be in basements under cinemas, etc.
There is a saying in Spain that Spaniards never go to bed the same day they get up.  Of course, that doesn't count for the long siesta after the big lunch!!
Gobs of folks here live to their 90's and into their 100,s, so they must get something right!
Viva España.
Jim<<<

I'm currently living (through no direct fault of my own) an unemployed lifestyle (donations welcome!), so I fully understand the weird hours.  It's right now a bit after 5:00 am (PT), haven't been to sleep yet, had "dinner" about an hour ago, and am only just now starting to get drowsy.  Only problem?  When I manage to get working again, I just might have to be (via the U.S. standard, that is) a little (sic) more responsible!

But darnit all to hell, if the East Coast live news hasn't been going for a couple hours now, and soon the real morning stuff, so, hecky darn, I don't know when I'll be closing my eyes (other than to blink) any time soon.

(The foregoing is not a lifestyle generally recommended for those who are not self-adopted Spaniards.)  (Ha!)

M J (Mike) Logsdon.

"Aaugh[.]" -- Charles Brown.
"Avoid dull needles and use a soft cloth." -- E Kovacs.