[Dixielandjazz] Discrepancies in Tune Chords

Chuck Stewart cstewart42 at cox.net
Wed Aug 22 20:15:56 EDT 2018

I have been writing tuba parts for an Arizona Jazz Band using their lead sheet.  I am using Finale notation software.

In the past 4 years, using Finale, I have created almost 1500 lead sheets from various handwritten lead sheets and fake books I had accumulated in the past 50 years.

Hoping to use my existing Finale files to create tuba parts for the band, I discovered that almost every lead sheet that they use has different chords that my Finale files.

This brings up my topic for discussion.
It seems to me that the lead sheets that we all have were created in different ways.
I think the majority were done by piano and banjo players who listened to recordings and wrote down what they thought the chords were.  Other lead sheets were created from piano sheet music.  Still others we done by people who didn’t like the chords they heard and “enhanced” them with chords like C#dimolished13 and the like.
I learned to play tuba by playing along with my recordings and playing their chords.  But where did they get their chords?  Is there a “correct” source?

I just saw that someone thought the DJML had run out of topics.  Let’s hear what you think.