[Dixielandjazz] Sun Lane Ltd. N.O. Jazzband

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 16:45:09 EDT 2018

In 1991 I attended a jazz festival in Geleen, The Netherlands.  A wonderful
festival, which unfortunately disappeared already in the 1990's (there
might have have been one more).  One of the bands I particularly remembered
was the Sun Lane Ltd. N.O. Jazzband from Germany.  So I finally  looked it
up on the web, and here's what I've found:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIfJNmtHx8o.  OK, perhaps not as good as I
remember, but still pretty good.  More is available.
One thing that stands up in my memory is that when the band was in full
swing, a brass band just marched in, playing very loud (it had just won the
brass band competition).  True, the Sun Lane had amplification, but was no
match for several trumpets, trombones and various horns (that brass band
was just that - no saxophones).    I can still see the surprise on the
leaders face!  But he overcame it quickly, and in a few seconds was already
playing WITH the brass band; his band soon followed suit.  Unfortunately,
at the time I could not afford to buy the LP it had for sale - my means
were overstretched by the trip to the jazz festivals on two consecutive
weekends (and travelling in between); the other festival was the Breda Oude
Stijl Jazz Festival.
Cheers