[Dixielandjazz] Sal Pace

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 15:13:24 EDT 2017

Hello everybody,

I first encountered his name in 1977, when I browsed through LPs in a
discount record store on Oxford Street in London and found Pee Wee Erwin
and His Jazz Band on the Jazz Kings and Immortals label.
This involves a funny anecdote: Next to me was an elderly gentleman
(probably younger then than I am now) who looked familiar.  After a while I
asked "Ben Hellerman?"  He almost flipped over with surprise.  I had heard
him playing at jazz jam sessions in Jaffa in the early '60's. But I was in
the audience, he was on stage (playing alto saxophone, a bit modern for my
taste).  We spent the rest of the day together, and in his flat he showed
me some documentaries on jazz he made in the States.  Very strangely, the
firs one was - Pee Wee Erwin with Sal Pace on clarinet (and, if I remember
properly, Andy Russo on trombone)!  It sounded great; only later Ben told
me that the original was silent, and he added the music later.  The synch,
however, was perfect!
According to the label, Russo died in 1958, just a few years after the
record was made, which places it in the mid-'50's.  Is this correct?
Cheers