[Dixielandjazz] Underrated?

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 09:16:09 EDT 2017

Hi all,
How many of you (antipodeans excluded) have ever heard of the reed player
Ian Walker?  I'd be very surprised to find too many.  Yet he is a wonderful
musician, not well known because of not being from one of the metropolises
of jazz.  I find his playing on the New Melbourne Jazz Band's "16 Birthday
Concert" absolutely astounding!  Just try his solo on "Oh! My Babe Blues."

In general, I have found that may musicians who, for whatever reasons,
chose to stay in areas other than NYC, Los Angeles, London or Paris many of
the better known ones.  Many of those are very popular on the jazz festival
circuit, but get little mention in the jazz press.

Recently I acquired a CD featuring two well known New Orleans clarinet
stars: Albert Nicholas and Herb Hall (separately) with The John Defferary
Jazztet" and "The Trevor Richards New Orleans Trio," respectively.  What is
surprising is how easily John Defferary - not a common name despite his
many years in jazz - hods his own with the venerable Orleanians.

Cheers and keep swinging!

בלי
וירוסים. www.avast.com
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>