[Dixielandjazz] Support live jazz!

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat May 20 16:55:06 EDT 2017

Last Wednesday, a couple of friends and I went to hear Swing de Gitanes
with the French Gypsy guitar wiz Stephane Wrembel (now residing in the US).
Wow!  One of the best concerts I've attended in a while.  The proceedings
started with Wrembel playing Django Reinhardt's "Improvisation No. 1," and
continued with two Reihardt waltzes (as part of Django's history), with
very interesting comments by Mr. Wrembel.  Then came the real meat - hot
and swinging Gypsy jazz!  in addition to tunes associated with, or composed
by, Django Reinhardt, the group played one original by Swing de Gitanes,
luckily - one of the more swinging numbers, and some numbers composed by
Mr. Wrembel for films (he composed the soundtrack for Woody Allen's
"Midnight in Paris").
The 450 hall was full almost to capacity, and ticket buyers were richly
rewarded.  The concert lasted almost two hours, without a break - real
value for money.
Cheers