[Dixielandjazz] Ken SIms RIP

tonypringle tonypringle at comcast.net
Thu Mar 30 12:38:08 EDT 2017

Hi Listmates,

I am so sad to hear that Ken has passed away. Ken came from my neck of
the woods and was sort of responsible for me taking up cornet. Back in
the day before he left Merseyside to go and join Cy Laurie in London he
played with a band called the Muskrat Jazz band. They had a weekly gig
at the Temple on Dale Street, Liverpool.

He first came to my notice when I was watching a local band with a
pretty awful trumpet player. There was a bit of a stir and Ken was
announced. He sat in and his playing to me sounded to me just a good as
the stuff on my 78s. The next day I bought a copy of the Melody Maker
from the new stand at Seacombe Ferry and sent away my £12 for a cornet
and I was off to the races.

Ken gave me some help and my vibrato owes much to his input. When left
the Muskrats I got his job, but was also forming my own band  - The
Druids Jazz Band, we had a love affair with the George Lewis climax
sessions.

A few years ago I was staying with Malc Murphy and Ken called to have a
chat with me. A lovely player and a good Scouser. He will be missed.

Tony Pringle