[Dixielandjazz] Ken Sims RIP

John Petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Wed Mar 29 17:10:54 EDT 2017

Dear Friends,

Ken Sims RIP - The jazz world has lost one of its hottest cornet players.
A major force on the jazz scene since his days with the Acker Bilk Band
in the late 50s.
I met him in about 1974. He helped me in those early years and was on my
first recording, "Red Hot Jazz", in 1977.
I subsequently joined the Ken Sims Dixie Kings and played every Saturday
at the 100 Club.
Ken was on subsequent recordings with my various bands, including two
albums of Hymns and spirituals, Hoagy, theOld Music Master and Goin'
Bananas. We did a live session at the Old Dot Jazz house in Cambridge
and a session with George Webb at Old Harlow.
During my days at the Square, Harlow, Ken was a regular guest, often
with his talented daughters, The Rhythm Girls and on one occasion with
Slim Gaillard and Al Casey.
He was on many of my Riverboat Shuffles and most of my festivals.
We used rib him for his Scouse Patois, a special Simsian language he
used on stage.
Of all the line-ups in which we collaborated, perhaps the most exciting
was with clarinettist, Dave Bailey.
The two would just explode on stage, producing some of the hottest jazz
in which I've been involved.
Ken loved King Oliver and always rose to the occasion when teamed with
Chez Chesterman and sometimes Cuff Billett in recreations of the Creole
Jazz Band.
I send my sincere condolences to Chris and his family in this sad time.
May he rest in peace.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIbFNNAdvJY

John Petters
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIbFNNAdvJY>