[Dixielandjazz] RV: Was Japanese string band?, now FaceBook

jim at kashprod.com jim at kashprod.com
Wed Mar 29 06:49:11 EDT 2017

Mike wrote:  Some (many?) years ago, someone either here or at Facebook (which latter I no longer do, for my sanity
And Marek answered: I've never joined - for my sanity

I stayed away from FaceBook for years, but several months ago started a page for our band.  I do all my “next gig” announcements there, and it has boosted our crowds a bit.  I don’t “friend” anyone, as I found that you start getting so-called news from their pages then.  But, for announcing, it seems to work on a promotional level.  Something to think about if you have a band.

In between my promo info, I put in tidbits about our history…..funny gigs, tv appearances, etc., as you can upload videos & photos.  Any promo seems to be seen by more people if it is accompanied by a photo, and even more if there is a video.  I tried paying for one of the promos to be advertised, and attracted almost 3,000 visitors.  The cost was $5.  However, the normal visitor number of between 100 and 200 showed up on the next non-advertised posting, so I don't believe you actually attract new people in particular by shelling out money.

I believe you can read the page in any language, as mine is in Spanish, but I see that some of my U.S. family have a look-in,, so they must be using the on-line translator.  I haven't yet asked them about that.  Have a look by searching for Canal Street Jazz Band Madrid.  (There seems to be a few Canal Street bands around the world.  I know of one in Hamburg & another in Japan, but I think we got the name first since we are well into our 50th year this year!)

Jim