[Dixielandjazz] Theme song "Singing Winds"

Ken Gates kwg915 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 08:13:57 EDT 2017

​Thanks to Bll Haesler and Jerry Gordon for their research.
I had the wrong band in mind.  The band was Ralph Flanagan.
Long ago when I was a teenager, the big name bands would
come and go through Los Angeles and play a week long gig
at the Orpheum theatre.  They alternated each day with a
"B" movie.  The band would appear on a moving platform
as the band played their theme song while the curtain opened.
It was like magic for me.

Flanagan's band was yet to be formed at that time.  Benny
Goodman (with Peggy Lee at that time), Jimmy Dorsey,
Charlie Spivak, Alvino Rey, Woody Herman (I think),
Louie Jordan, are names that come to mind.  Their
theme songs always lingered in my mind.  I've only
heard the Flanagan theme song on a recording.

Here's a link to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJuuqFP8YK8

My favorite was the sign off from Benny Goodman--
"Goodbye"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxz6Ak2mp8c