[Dixielandjazz] RV: Jazz camps, apprenticeships, and learning

jim at kashprod.com jim at kashprod.com
Thu Jun 22 06:22:23 EDT 2017

Charles,  thanks for finally changing that original subject title!  No big deal, but it does help to be able to choose what you wish to read.

While the discussion about apprenticeship & jazz camps is interesting, there is nothing like studying daily at home.  And that studying should take in gobs of listening to all the recorded material out there.  Certainly even easier to find than when I was a kid.  I nearly wore out my Dukes' and FH5 collection.  I also had a beloved LP of Santo Pecora who I heard at the Famous Door on Bourbon Street when I was 17 (my one & only night I have ever spent in New Orleans!).

I wasn't "helped" by anyone older, but trained my ear by playing along with my LP's.  I've mentioned many times on this list that the Duke's & FH5 recordings are perfect for ear training as the keys are right for brass, the bass line is predominate & the changes are uncomplicated.  I know, I know.....there are those that won't even mention those two bands, but perhaps the simpler, or uncomplicated format both bands used (if I be permitted to say that!) works very well for the student to follow where they are.

So, by playing along with the bass line you learn to follow the chord changes, then little by little you can mentally block out your instrument in the band & put yourself into their place.  It works, it works!  No camps, no helpers....just play every day (*) & listen, listen, listen.  Then, another big boost is to get a band of kids your own age to put your practice to work for you.

(*) I still play every day, and when I am travelling, always play my mouthpiece each day!  Mouthpieces in your bag will usually get you inspected at the security check in airports, but it's worth it to always have it on you!

Jim