[Dixielandjazz] two comments

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Tue Jun 20 13:21:41 EDT 2017

Well said, Marek. The point I take from this is that there are many roads to competent jazz playing, and a short camp can plant the seeds that will grow elsewhere, in time. High school jazz bands do this, over a longer period of time, though as has often been pointed out, most don’t don’t make room for improvisation, and fewer still offer combo settings that encourage traditional jazz. The larger culture bends kids towards guitar-based rock bands, and most kids are channeled into that.The conception of traditonal jazz doesn’t come in through the pores as it did in my youth, and settings for sustained mentorship in the music are rare. Still, as Syncopated Times, this list show, the music persists. Gratitude for that.

Charles