[Dixielandjazz] two comments

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 16:46:04 EDT 2017

So do I, Les, so do I - it's sheer nonsense!
I've seen videos of the Capital Focus (the band that brought that comment),
and it sounded quite competent and swinging.  As was a Spanish youth band
which featured quite hot soloists (I cannot recall the name - perhaps Jim
can help).
I don't know how do listmates feel about big bands, but the Essentially
Ellington youth band competition offers wonderful high school bands with
real feeling for the music they play.
Some members of the Israeli Isradixie Band are much younger than others -
they came from the youth bands coached by the band leader and trumpeter
Avraham Felder, who also finds young subs for musicians who cannot come to
a gig.  Last year he sometimes featured a school kid who couldplay jazz and
swing.
All is not lost!
Cheers

On 19 June 2017 at 18:31, Les Elkins <leslie.r.elkins at gmail.com> wrote:

> >1)  Young Kids have NO jazz feelings!
>
> I'm just back to the real world from the New Orleans Adult Traditional
> Jazz Camp, held last week. This time around it included a number of Young
> Kids. They were in the ensembles like the rest of us, and while like the
> rest of us many have a ways to go, I'll strongly disagree with "NO"
> feeling. But the camp brought their scholarship students into WWOZ for a
> bit, so judge for yourself....
>
> https://www.wwoz.org/events/247086
>
> For me- it took me many years to find this music. I just can't imagine
> being exposed to this stuff at their age, and I am confident to say that if
> I had been, it would have been a stretch for me to have been anywhere close
> to as competent, musical, or as overall nice as these folks are.
>
> -Les Elkins
>

> --
> "NEVER use a maj7 chord in any bar that is named after a deceased NASCAR
>   driver, a large-calibre firearm, or an intoxicated farm animal."
> -Rev. Billy C. Wirtz's Universal Chord Law

בלי
וירוסים. www.avast.com
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>