[Dixielandjazz] two comments

Les Elkins leslie.r.elkins at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 11:31:13 EDT 2017

>1)  Young Kids have NO jazz feelings!

I'm just back to the real world from the New Orleans Adult Traditional Jazz
Camp, held last week. This time around it included a number of Young Kids.
They were in the ensembles like the rest of us, and while like the rest of
us many have a ways to go, I'll strongly disagree with "NO" feeling. But
the camp brought their scholarship students into WWOZ for a bit, so judge
for yourself....

https://www.wwoz.org/events/247086

For me- it took me many years to find this music. I just can't imagine
being exposed to this stuff at their age, and I am confident to say that if
I had been, it would have been a stretch for me to have been anywhere close
to as competent, musical, or as overall nice as these folks are.

-Les Elkins

--
"NEVER use a maj7 chord in any bar that is named after a deceased NASCAR
  driver, a large-calibre firearm, or an intoxicated farm animal."