[Dixielandjazz] Mick Pyne and Stan Greig

Steve Voce stevevoce at virginmedia.com
Mon Jul 10 04:25:32 EDT 2017

Absolutely right. I stand corrected. I was mixed up over Stan's two
stays with the band.

Mick was one of the finest jazz pianists, ranking with the American
greats. He was equally accomplished at stride, bop and at playing
exquisite mainstream cornet. His brother Chris was one of our best
trombonists.

Steve

On 10/07/2017 01:49, ROBERT R. CALDER wrote:

> I'm very sorry to have to correct one of the worthiest of our fellow
> constituents, but Mick Pyne wasn't in Humph's band for years after
> Stan was,
> Mick was in the band for years after Stan had been an earlier member,
> whether as drummer or pianist, but I remember very well Stan taking
> over from Mick, and remember painfully that after Stan finally left
> the Lyttelton band Mick wasn't doing anything for years in this life.
> Stan left Humph's band in the year Mick died. The approximations of my
> recall match the 1985-1995 dates cited on-line.
>
> I'm sure I couldn't have kept up with a succession of personnel
> changes like that in Humph's long time as a leader -- but I did find
> the change in the band interesting after I'd been able to hear them
> (can't call a band "it" but can call a family "them") live and on
> something of a regular basis. I look forward to catching up with work
> from between Bruce Turner's departure and his later return
>
> all the very best,
>
> Robert R. Calder

---