[Dixielandjazz] Madrid

jim at kashprod.com jim at kashprod.com
Mon Jan 30 12:21:26 EST 2017

I haven’t spoken much lately on djml.  Been keeping busy chasing down gigs,
etc.  In our 50th year in existence as a continually performing band, I find
that I am actually having to “look” for work!

We have lost a number of important jazz clubs over the last year in our area
to the economic situation here.  Shame.  One of those gave us numerous
nights of work a month.  And, the festivals & big concerts sponsored by
local City Halls have dried up due to no money in the gov’t pot!   I know, I
know!  You’re all saying “welcome to the rest of the world”!

I’ve known for years that we had it good in Spain, and it wouldn’t last
forever, but it is still a bit of a blow when things get more difficult.
Nevertheless, we are pushing heavily, especially since this year we are
celebrating our 50th anniversary.  We have brought out a new, live CD to
celebrate, and it features our (used to be sub trumpeter) who has now filled
in for our trumpeter of 38 years who passed away last June.  Evgeniy is from
the Ukraine, and plays a wonderful horn.

We played a local festival this last Saturday in a club we actually
inaugurated 30 years ago.  They now feature little jazz though, going more
for folk/rock, etc.  However, these folks rented the joint for the nite, did
proper advertising & had a sold out event
no tickets left for those who
hadn’t purchased on-line!  They did radio, on-line & newspaper advertising,
and I believe were very pleased with the event.

Here are two videos from the concert.  The first is Caravan and is the
complete song, lasting some 7 minutes.  The second is a short excerpt from
our encore number where you can appreciate the size and general age of the
crowd.  It was a fun nite.  Here, you will see our other sub trumpeter,
Mirón, who is from Bosnia.

Enjoy (hopefully!), Jim
•  Copy and paste into your browser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsCd4OAnQcI