[Dixielandjazz] response to Bob R. on "lyrics" & more

philwilking philwilking at cox.net
Tue Feb 28 17:20:03 EST 2017

With regard to the vocalist being buried, how many so-called "musicians"
under the age of 70 these days have any idea of dynamic control? That is,
drop your own volume by about 2/3 when backing up a vocalist (even if she is
trying to swallow a microphone). Never mind the person on the mixing board
who just throws all the gain sliders to the top with the intention of
causing permanent hearing loss to everyone in the room. And then you have
the trolls in the home office who "know" that louder is always better.

With regard to hearing the lyrics first, that is extremely common in country
music also. In the popular mind, the lyric writer "wrote" the song, the
music, such as it is, is just a convenient frame for the words

Back to dynamics. One of my best memories in dealing with a "sound guy" is
the time I was in a banjo band which was supposed to follow a rock band
outdoors at a church street fair. (No one was paying any attention to any
bands, being more interested in stuffing their faces with "church ladies'"
food.) I got there early and approached the sound guy to ask whether he had
ever worked with an acoustic band. When he said "Yes," the look he gave me
told me he was lying. So I kept at him until he got angry and turned off the
board and stomped away. (I was significantly larger and beefier than he, so
I was reasonably safe.) That was just what I wanted, as that gave us
complete control of the dynamics, and what banjo band needs amplification
anyway?

Phil Wilking - K5MZF
www.nolabanjo.com

Those who would exchange freedom for
security deserve neither freedom nor security.