[Dixielandjazz] Blue Prelude

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Sun Feb 26 14:18:54 EST 2017

The Peggy Lee version of Blue Prelude with Shearing (linked below) is the weirdest ever—the tempo and the upbeat, almost “zippy” instrumental backup are at totally at odds with the lyrics and melody. Despite this, Peggy has a grasp of the song that works to an extent, as if she’s singing in another room. As one commenter wrote, "Listen more carefully...the pathos is there in the tone and vibrato in her throat.” Full disclosure—I think that, among white jazz vocalists, Peggy Lee was the most moving, subtle, and skillful interpreter of lyrics. Plus, she was drop dead beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7fcx0O81VU