[Dixielandjazz] Larry Muhoberac died at 79 in December

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Sat Feb 18 02:18:15 EST 2017

If you knew Larry Muhoberac, a jazz prodigy in his early years, you’re probably very old, probably from New Orleans. The only tribute to his jazz genius that I know of was in my 2001 book on jazz in postwar N.O. I and others of that time knew him as an extraordinarily gifted pianist , trombonist, and singer. His obit/bio on Wikipedia (linked below) notes that he went on the road as trombonist with Woody Herman at age 20, then tells about his years backing up Elvis Presley (under pseudonyms) and as an accompanist to major stars (Ray Charles, Streisand, Tina Turner, Ray Charles). That was a huge loss to the jazz world but i wouldn't fault a person with so many choices for following the path of wealth and fame. He married Andra Willis, one of Lawrence Welks’ vocalists, and moved to Australia at age 50. In a 2015 interview that treated in depth his work with Presley, his final comment was, "You know, of all the people I have ever worked with the only person people ever ask about is Elvis.” A bit of sadness in that, I thought.

Charlie

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Muhoberac