[Dixielandjazz] Canal Street Jazz Band/Casablanca

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Sun Feb 12 15:09:12 EST 2017

Some random connections— “Casablanca” of course means “White House.” Probably apt for the current (mal-)administration. In French, it translates to "Maison Blanche,” name of the once-iconic department store on Canal Street in New Orleans, now a hotel, and home of the adorable Mr. Bingle (ask s native). Another great store was D.H. Holmes (also a hotel now). That’s not a cool name, but we would often say, “Meet me under the clock at Holmes.” Woolworth’s was a chain, the po’folks local store. The redeeming aspect was the local “yat” pronunciation:  “Wools-Woit.”  My stream of consciousness overfloweth.

Charlie