[Dixielandjazz]   1. Mundell Lowe  R. I. P. (Norman Vickers)

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Tue Dec 5 15:53:51 EST 2017

Mundell Lowe!
I knew the name well enough, and when I learned he was coming to Scotland... the date loomed up, and I would be out of the country at the time and then the next time I saw the name he was coming to Germany ... when I was going to be back in Scotland. On the years which followed it was Herb Ellis I missed . . .
but I did see Herb a few times, and the tale of the young man sobbing inconsolably in the toilet (before Herb had struck up the poor young guy thought he was himself a guitarist)
I did my best to encourage friends and persons likely to be interested to go see and hear Mundell (rang friends from the Swiss Border, through Franconia and the Ruhr)so I hope somebody went. Where Norman has been remembering Mundell I've been writing about my friend Ian Begg, a prominent Scottish architect only a couple of years younger than Mundell who used to frequent Nick'sin the early 1940s when a deckhand on wartime convoys. Muggsy, Pee Wee, and since they headed on up the street and into a studio to reprise the evening's set for broadcast ...
Well, one thing my late friend did observe about the music, other than its quality
It was not LOUD. AMEN.
Robert R. Calder