[Dixielandjazz] Question Origine Of "Tickle Toe?"

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Sun Dec 3 21:06:24 EST 2017

This is from another email list. Any help would be appreciated.
I am learning the song "Jazz Baby," written in 1919 by M.K. Jerome and
Blanche Merrill. (You may remember Carol Channing's version in the movie
"Thoroughly Modern Millie.") I found the sheet music. One of the lyrics
says, "Rocked to sleep... to the tune of the 'tickle toe.'" What the heck is
the "tickle toe" tune? Google leads me only to a later tune of the same name
written by Lester Young in the 1930's and recorded by Count Basie and
others. I thought I'd ask the experts here for any information you might
have about any earlier "tickle toe" tunes. I'm curious about the origin of
the phrase. Was it a dance step? A lead to a recording of the earlier
tune(s) would be a bonus. Can anyone help?

  Paul in San Francisco

Bob Ringwald piano, Solo, Duo, Trio, Quartet, Quintet
Fulton Street Jazz Band (Dixieland/Swing)
916/ 806-9551
Check out my performing schedule: www.ringwald.com/schedule.php
Amateur (ham) Radio Station K6YBV

“If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed,
if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed.” -- Mark Twain

---