[Dixielandjazz] Graham Tayar RIP

Steve Voce stevevoce at virginmedia.com
Tue Aug 22 13:25:33 EDT 2017

I've just played some of the Crouch End band stuff over the phone to
Wally Fawkes (no good trying to send it because Wally (a) is not
computer-clad and (b) wouldn't be able to see it anyway with his failing
sight. He's just enjoying half a dozen Teagarden CDs (including a 4 hour
interview with Jack) that I sent to him last week.

Steve Voce

On 12/08/2016 20:33, Tony Davis wrote:

> My thanks to Robert Calder for bringing to my attention the sad news
> of Graham's death, and the Guardian obituary which I unaccountably
> failed to spot at the time.
>
> Graham and I were - roughly - contemporaries at King Edward's School,
> Birmingham, though he was a few years ahead of me.  I remember meeting
> him once in a pub in Birmingham, but we didn't get to know each other
> until 2002, when we met at the funeral of pianist Ray Foxley (another
> Old Edwardian).  A couple of years later he asked me to play trumpet
> at a dinner for the Old Edwardians' Association at a club in
> Piccadilly.  Graham's idea was to put together a band made up entirely
> of Old Edwardians, and he almost succeeded; I think only the bass
> player was an "import".  Graham himself was on piano, of course.
>
> A lovely man indeed, and as his son says, a "creative force".
>
> Tony Davis
>
> On 09/08/16 14:43, ROBERT R. CALDER wrote:
>> DJML and friends
>> A fellow acquaintance of the leader and pianist of the Crouch End All
>> Stars has told me (by e-mail, and from a current location in New
>> Orleans -- sic! -- to where I have copied this) of Graham's recent
>> death. See below for link to Guardian obit by one of his progeny.
>>
>> Lovely man, Graham, some years back cooked a brace of haggis I had
>> left with a friend for the impending Burns anniversary celebration,
>> and rather than jazz had endless rugby songs from said friend and the
>> fellow Caledonian and guest Nicol Williamson (of stage and screen fame).
>>
>> Graham maintained that he had formed the Crouch End ensemble
>> consequent to the cajolings of his old friend Wally Fawkes, to be a
>> band with or within which Wally could play.  The Lytteltonian
>> parallel continued when rather than supposedly existing as a band
>> with which Wally could perform it became one with which Ian Christie
>> performed (same sequence in which the two clarinetists were with
>> Humphrey Lyttelton. Graham had his reminiscences of others sometime
>> happily prominent, Bruce Turner sending up our Scottish hero Sandy
>> Brown, when Sandy demonstrated, not that bebop harmonies were
>> horrible nonsense (some would agree with him) but that his own ear
>> was tuned to something different. Bruce parodying Sandy travestying
>> Bop, was how Graham referred to it.
>> "Dear Bruce," he actually said.
>> One of our listmates tells me Tayar means traveller, and Graham had
>> on his wall a certificate or permit issued to one of his ancestors
>> the century before last, licensing trade on the Mediterranean. The
>> Guardian obituary provides a little more, and Wally is recognisable
>> to eye and ear on the YouTube clip,
>>
>> Robert R. Calder
>>
>> <https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/may/08/graham-tayar-obituary>
>>
>> <https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/may/08/graham-tayar-obituary>

> [...]