[Dixielandjazz] the question of Eb vs BBb tubas....

Jim O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Sun Aug 20 13:33:03 EDT 2017

Albankirk  wrote:

> There should not be a problem using an e flat tuba instead of a b flat in group?

First of all, you wrote this as a reply to a digest that included multiple emails. As nearly as I can tell, neither message dealt with Eb vs BBb tubas.

Therefore, am I guessing correctly that you're asking whether a Trad Jazz band can use an Eb tuba rather than a BBb tuba? If so, the answer is yes. I know a couple of players who also play classical stuff, and they use a CC tuba for Trad Jazz as well. Tom Holtz, who played with the Buck Creek Jazz Band (and whose "day job" was Principal Tuba in the US Marine Band in DC) played a Besson Eb with Buck Creek.

Jim O'Briant
Gilroy, CA
Tuba & Leader, The Zinfandel Stompers Vintage Jazz Band