[Dixielandjazz] Bolden and Jabbo

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 12:56:42 EDT 2017

On 17 April 2017 at 03:49, ROBERT R. CALDER <serapion at btinternet.com> wrote:

> I missed out looking up where Jabbo was from.
>

> It's also interesting that in his recordings with the New York band Bunk
> worked very successfully with East Coast Musicians who had been through the
> business of jazz through the 1920s and 1930s, professionals very different
> from the George Lewis and Jim Robinson mould.

According to the various accounts I've read, Bunk hated that Jim
Robinson-George Lewis band.  The band became much better when Bunk was
replaced by Kid Howard.
Bunk was a much better schooled musician than Robinson and Lewis, and his
work with other musicians was much better than those widely acclaimed
American Music recordings (according to Barry Martyn of GHB, the original
American Music Bunk Johnson records were pressed at a slightly wrong speed,
preserved in all reissues prior to the renincarnated American Musi CDs,
which might partly, or even wholly, account for the inferior sound of the
band).  To me, the best Bunk is the "Spicy Advice" session, but he made
wonderful recordings on the West Coast, both with such black musicians as
Kid Ory and Wade Whaley.
Cheers

בלי
וירוסים. www.avast.com