[Dixielandjazz] Buddy Bolden, was Armstrong-Eldridge

Keith Garner ckg at talktalk.net
Sat Apr 15 14:40:15 EDT 2017

Hi All

Ken's recent post - and particularlyhis mention of No One Else But You -
made me realise just how much we owe today to technology together with
the internet and email forums like this one.

I first heard this number back in the 60s at the Manchester Sports
Guild. John Chilton used to vist from time to time with his Swing Kings,
with a front line of his trumpet and two saxes - either two tenors or
alto and tenor,at this distance  I can't remember which. I saw him twice
and he played NOEBY on both occasions. I was very struck by the number
and when I got home worked out an approximation of it on the piano,
later doing an arrangement ofmy version of it for my band - which had a
front line of trumpet, alto and baritone. We played it for quite a time
and included it on our one and only LP. It was only quite recently, when
I bought the boxed set of the complete Hot Fives and Sevens that I
discovered its origins.

Now think how that would have gone today - over fifty years later.  I
would probably have had a recorder on me when I heard it, do my
transcription would have been more accurate .... if I had a smart phone
I could have looked it up even while it was being played. I could have
found versions on YouTube and elsewhere, The chords if not the sheet
music are probably on-line somewhere ..... and if I'd mentioned it on
this list there would have been a wide range of details provided by
listmates much better informed than me. It seems to me that some things
definitely change for the better -- although working it out the way I
did was probably a lot more fun.

Regards
Keith Garner
One time leader of The Five Towns Footwarmers