[Dixielandjazz] Buddy Bolden, was Armstrong-Eldridge

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Sat Apr 15 10:54:07 EDT 2017

Hi All,

I've been enjoying your interesting, not to mention inflammatory, posts
recently but have been too busy with other priorities to get involved.
However I'm a bit mystified by some of the narrow definitions of jazz.
I've never understood this as I've always thought of jazz as being "the
one music", at least until the supplanting of swinging jazz time with
rock rhythms by younger generation musicians whose rhythmic point of
reference was rock and pop music, not jazz.

Jazz didn't produce any unique harmonic or melodic concepts, nor was
improvisation an innovation of jazz - it has been around since man's
first musical tinkerings. On the other hand, what was unique to jazz was
its swinging rhythmic pulse in all its developments over the decades:
that was something new and distinctive and it seems to me that the
increasing tendency towards rock rhythms has effectively thrown the baby
out with the bath water.

Jazz's enduring developments grew organically out of what went before,
so Miles Davs couldn't have played as he did without Louis and others
doing what they did in earlier decades. My own band's repertoire is
based on the "one music" principle and our programme for a recent
concert was as varied as you're likely to find:

Jelly's Grandpa's Spells, followed by Bechet's Old Stack o' Lee Blues,
followed by Jobim's Waters of March, followed by Sam Jones' Del Sasser
(popularised by Cannonball Adderley), followed by Bix's In a Mist,
followed by Ellington's Jack the Bear, followed by Benny Carter's Easy
Money, followed by Don Redmond's No One Else But You, followed by
Charles Mingus' Jelly Roll and closing with Jelly's Black Bottom Stomp.

In the band's 13 year existence, only one punter has ever complained
about our choice of material or interpretation: he wanted to hear
Morton's tunes EXACTLY as they had been recorded 60 years earlier, since
that was what he was used to hearing and any deviation from that was
"tampering with sacred music!" I know Morton took his music seriously,
but I'm pretty certain the wild-living Jelly (maybe there's a clue in
the nickname?) would have been amused to be told his music was sacred!

Cheers,
Ken