[Dixielandjazz] Buddy Bolden, was Armstrong-Eldridge

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Wed Apr 12 22:58:03 EDT 2017

Good points, Anton. Lineages are “soft,” for sure. Some players state who influenced them. Others don’t. Despite that, there’s internal evidence as we subjectively hear how one player’s particulars of style resembles another’s and adds his/her own elements. The lineage game works best when plotting the influence of acknowledged groundbreakers like Louis, Baby Dodds, Hines, Bix, Pres, Bird, Diz, Miles, Rollins, etc. Beyond that, it gets fuzzy and perhaps useless. Where do Bunk, Honore Dutrey, Allen Eager, and Bud Shank "fit in"? They were fine players but I don’t think it’s interesting or useful to place them precisely in a stylistic continuum of artists. I confess, though, that I often feel that some highly individual musicians have been underrated in the panoply of jazz stars—Tony Spargo, Bill Rank, Joe Rushton, Ed Blackwell, and a few others.

Charlie