[Dixielandjazz] Parley Parker

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Sun Apr 9 12:49:23 EDT 2017

Showing Parker and Armstrong and ....
Now, Marek, if you believe one liner note (or perhaps it's steaming tramp?) you will know that Charlie Parker ...
was known as the faceless man "for almost no photograph exists" (I owe this one to a flabbergasted reviewer -- it could even have been Steve Voce -- when the BBC was OK and not churning out such drivel as BLUES AMERICA -- ). It's possible I have several copies of the statement (reproduced like the entire note on LPs costing ten shillings and musically OK)

There is a photograph on the liner of the  CD brandished at me by a young American musician who had only just listened seriously to Parker and was really enthused.  CHARLIE PARKER it said,
though the lady should not have been so impressed when I said it was in fact of Johnny Hodges.  I managed to find one of these myself

The saddest faceless man item concerns Doug Suggs, known to a very few and presumably equally few as the St. Louis Jimmy Yancey. I gather he was Jimmy Yancey's colleague as a baseball groundsman. In any event, in what has been said to be the sole surviving photo of him he is sitting sideways on to the camera and wearing a nice suit and showing a nice head of curly hair but the photograph extends only a little way down his brow, the front part of his head, what one would call his face, is out of shot.

Perhaps he could be mistaken for Charlie Parker, being faceless?

I'd better stop before the Phantom of the Opera rises from

all the very best this Palm Sunday!Robert

Superjazzfan Mike Lynch of Pensacola forwarded this brief article about
Wayne Winborne, executive director of Rutgers Institute of Jazz Studies.  I
found it of significant interest;  hope you will, too.

From: Marek Boym <marekboym at gmail.com>

perhaps, Norm, perhaps.
But showing Charlie Parker and Satchmo and giving the wrong names - Dizzy
Gillespie and miles Davis, respectively, casts some doubt.