[Dixielandjazz] Of melodies and such

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Wed Apr 5 21:34:26 EDT 2017

I had to digest several aspects of this topic before responding. Yes, most lay audiences might get bored when successive soloists stray from the melody. And as a seasoned listener, if a song is unfamiliar I like to hear a pretty straightforward chorus of melody, embellished of course to enhance the feeling, in order to anchor the experience when improvised solos unfold. But beyond that, I’m happy if the soloists don’t cite the melody at all. As I see it, in jazz improvisation the solos are in themselves melodic inventions—great to witness, especially when an imaginative player integrates blue notes, intuitively makes skillful use of rhythmic manipulation of phrases, varies their length, doesn’t run cliches or fall into repetition of ideas, etc.

Isn’t that a great part of the joy of jazz, and doesn’t it apply even when you walk into (or tune into) the middle of performance of soloists playing a tune, and you don’t even know the song in the first place? If the soloists are swinging and singing, that’s its own reward. God bless jazz!

I’m sure that most of you have sought a middle ground at times between taking lyrical flight and keeping the audience in mind. Steve Barbone has written about this often. That’s yet another kind of creativity. Ain’t we got fun?

An aside—I know that a more schooled musician than me (I’m a drummer, don’t know chords) will get much more out of, say, what a soloist is doing with harmonics as a pianist lays down chords. Too much of that, though, can bog down in analysis that saps the juice out of the experience, a flaw in much of contemporary jazz education, Im told.

That’s a plenty.

Charlie