[Dixielandjazz] Of melodies and such

tonypringle tonypringle at comcast.net
Wed Apr 5 13:05:10 EDT 2017

I have a memory of reading that Joe Oliver told Louis Armstrong to
always make sure you state the melody strongly and something about "if
you can't make the melody swing you can't play jazz".

I like to refer to some of the melody later in a performance - it's a
way of reminding the audience of what tune they are listening to. On a
less serious note I have heard a couple of bands through the years were
having the melody restated would help some of the musicians to remember
what tune they are playing!  :-)

Cheers, Tony Pringle