[Dixielandjazz] Of melodies and such

Ken Gates kwg915 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 01:15:50 EDT 2017

An observation for players and listeners.

I wandered in to a youtube clip of a 1927 composition--see link number one.
I found it be very well played indeed.  The melody stated and the
embellishments
and variations passed around with great skill.  I couldn't remember ever
hearing
that melody before.  I did some research to learn more about it, I'd like
to play it.
(I'm an amateur wannabe, can't claim to be a musician).  I thought I had
heard
a lot of tunes during my listening days but discovered that it has been
recorded by
many ---both  jazz, swing,  Motown, and Montavani (easy listening).  Wow,
how
had I not remembered hearing it.  Composed as a waltz, but played 4/4 by
OKOM.
You can find many versions on youtube, but don't search for it by the title
("Diane")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3ThotQ3WiE
​

​   Link 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8lP9zeRPjE
​     Link 2​

​ Here's my observation.
 To my ears, both of these clips are really good.
 Heitger, Barrett, Christopher (and excellent local players where
 it was filmed in Germany) version began with melody as composed
 (except for 4/4 instead of 3/4).  Following the trombone, the trumpet,
 tenor sax, and piano played creative embellishments and variations
 and then some ensemble play to finish up.  Wow---great music.

 After spending some time researching for other versions. I discovered
 that Eddie Condon many years ago had one with one his all-star
 configurations.  Link 2, of course.  Wow---great players playing well.

 However, the first chorus, well played of course, began with an altered
 variation of the melody.  Had this my first listening experience with this
 tune I wouldn't have locked in that melody that rolled around in my head
 for days.

 My suggestion to performing musicians.  There surely are folks like me
 who need to hear the melody stated clearly the first time around so as
 to better appreciate the inventive embellishments and variations that
 follow.  Let the bebop and post bebop folks play around with chords
 and extensions of chords as the structure of the tune.  They do it well.
 But OKOM, I think, is based on melody.

 ​Just my opinion.
 Ken Gates