[Dixielandjazz] Interesting (and long) article about the possible Cuban influence on early Jazz

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Fri Oct 28 11:25:54 EDT 2016

Dave wrote:
Saw this on Red Hot Jazz:
Here's an item for those interested in Jazz History

Where Did Jazz Really Come From?  How Did It First Hit New York?
         The story of jazz is littered with scraps of information neglected by historians dedicated to a narrative restricted by their adherence to definitions of jazz that originated in the 1930’s and 1940’s. But what was the truth of  what happened as America was entering World War I. Whose story can we believe?
One of these stories is told in:  “Walter Kingsley and the Cuban Tinge - Ill-considered Trifles” by Daniel Hardie -  read at http://darnhard.blogspot.com.au

When my big band played in Havana and the surrounding area in Feb., 2015

Hey David, didn’t know you played in Cuba. Tell us about it. How long were you there? How many concerts?

How were you treated?

Were you guided to what the government wanted you to see:

-Bob Ringwald

we were entertained during one lunch by a local professional 6 piece Jazz band (playing mostly early New Orleans standards very well with just a hint of Cuban flavor.) After the performance I asked the tuba player about the history of early jazz in Cuba - my Spanish is not great and he only had a little English - most of what I got from him is confirmed by parts of the above article. Also, the series of books by Ned Sublette on the music and culture of the Caribbean get deep into this history.

Anyway, it is more fuel for the fire in the endless discussion of the true roots of Jazz!

Dave Richoux