[Dixielandjazz] Dave Fanning, Suncoast Jazz Society comments-- jazz economics

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Mon May 2 09:35:56 EDT 2016

To: DJML and Musicians and Jazzfans list

From: Norman Vickers, Jazz Pensacola

Dave Fanning, Suncoast Jazz Society, comments on Jim Kashishian's report of
the economic downturn in Spain, and reflects on current situation as relates
to Suncoast Jazz Society and Suncoast Jazz events.

Thanks, Dave, for your permission to forward to the lists.

Norman

-------------------------------------

David Fanning <dfanjazz at aol.com> wrote:

Interesting comments from Jim "K" about music and trends in music in Spain.
Not so different actually from what we experience.  We have two bands
locally that are playing music at various venues for the door collection
only.  It is not consistent yet in the locations as ownership of the clubs
are squeamish about the arrangements.  The very popular Bilmar Resort on
Treasure Island is holding up so far this year under new management but we
all worry when the tourists leave that the management will shut the gig
down.  Last week there were very few guests at the opening of the music at
6:30 P.M. but slowly the place filled up or nearly filled up.  During the
season you had to get there by 4:45 P.M. for the 6:30 first set but now you
can walk in at 6:00 P.M. and find a seat easily.  Nothing different actually
from years past at this time of year.

The presale of badges for the festival (Suncoast Classic) is about average
at this time of year for the November event.  Our brochures went out to our
mailing list in the last week or so and the first splurge of responses
seemed encouraging.  Just got back from 3 Rivers California jazz fest and
the crowd seemed adequate to keep the promoters happy.  Great bands of
course most from the West Coast as expected.  First time to that festival so
can't make comparisons to past productions.

Best,

Dave

David Fanning
dfanjazz at aol.com