[Dixielandjazz] Jim Kashishian -- message from Madrid

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Sun May 1 14:49:48 EDT 2016

To:  Musicians and Jazzfans list;  DJML

From:  Norman Vickers, Jazz Pensacola

Many of you ( maybe even most) are familiar with our listmate ( both
Musicians and Jazzfans and DJML) trombonist and sound-man  Jim Kashisian.
He's a US expatriate now living/working in Madrid since 1967.  I had asked
him to expand on some e-mails, specifically commenting on Spanish economic
downturn and how it had affected him personally and that of his colleagues.

Jim kindly wrote back and gave permission to share with the lists.

In the first paragraph he responds to some remarks I made about Pensacola's

Spanish influence.  As you, likely,  all know Florida was ceded from Spain
to US in 1821.  Andrew Jackson accepted  acquisition from Spain in a
downtown Pensacola Square.  Pensacola was settled in 1559 by Spanish-first
known settlement on what's now US mainland.  Shortly afterward, ships in
Pensacola Bay were wrecked by a hurricane.  Two years later, remaining
Spaniards were moved back to Mexico.  ( Archeologists couple of years ago
found remains of the ships in the Bay and even more recently, remains of the
settlement were discovered near downtown Pensacola).  Spanish General Galvez
is a local hero, as his forces defeated the British in a battle in Pensacola
during Revolutionary War.

Thanks, Jim.  Exchanging messages with wonderful people like you makes these
lists worthwhile for me!