[Dixielandjazz] Vocalese on "That Was the Week That Was"

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Sun Mar 13 10:33:30 EDT 2016

I'm sure the performance was intended as straight, probably as the musical interlude not uncommon on comedy shows, as they would be called in the USA.  The musicians might have been jazzmen gigging --I was startled to see very recognisably the still not middle-aged English trumpeter Guy Barker got up in 1930s band costume in an episode of Agatha Christie's POIROT on British TV.  A protege and pupil of Clark Terry, Barker has composed, performed and broadcast actual tributes to a sequence of heroes of his early period with  twisted lips (as he described what his mouth did before it was Clarkly Terryfied into an embouchure)  such as Rex and Red ....

But Vocalese is FUN and cleverness, and any example of  extreme cleverness which is consciously performed ought to include an aspect of self-deflation.  The singer in question was -emerging after a nose-j......  minor cosmetic surgery and a Summerisation of over- or aroundhead plumage, and probably also had had to work hard on the business. I'd imagine the quickfire of the vocal also consonant (handy word) with the topical patter delivered as other songs about politics. Bizarrely when I turned the TV on after sending the mails I found a documentary about Britain in the 1960s and some footage of Acker Bilk with band, and even a clip from the soap his composition, renamed from its original "Jenny" for his daughter, prefaced as theme tune. I wonder whether Acker received a fee for the use of the recording as soundtrack of a delicate little piece which features a shore and a young lady wearing no more than she came into this world in.
Although everything was there for a bath I don't remember any soap when I was shown that short on-line,

innocent times!Robert R. Calder