[Dixielandjazz] FW: We're back!

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sat Mar 12 10:09:04 EST 2016

Michael Woitowicz wrote, referring to my "Caravan" video recently posted:

>One can tell a professional sound person has balanced the band's sound.
That's a fun one to answer!  You can see our two speakers on each side of
the band.  I run a Shure mic through a Lexicon reverb that acts also as a
preamp and on to one speaker & linking the 2nd speaker. I can correct mic
level on the reverb unit & add necessary reverb. The bass has his own amp as
does the keyboard.  No mixer involved.  No mics on the drums, although the
Shure (used for both brass & also voice) picks up a bit of drums.  The
actual balance is in the band itself.

And, Michael continues:
>My only complaint is that the video wasn't long enough!!
As I mentioned, I was behind the camera & wanted to get back to my proper
job of playing!  I agree though, at least a fade out would have been nice,
but I'm not that clever with video.

Thanks for the compliments on our outfits & appearance, sound, and playing.
Always nice to hear.  We are in our 49th year of continuous playing.  The
pianist & I are original members.  The bass joined around 1975 as did our
regular trumpeter.  The drummer has been with us 8 yrs now.  The band is all
Spanish except myself. As mentioned on the video, our substitute trumpeter
plays quite often with us over the last 6 yrs or so & is Russian.  All good
musicians & really nice people...both being important to a band.

Jim