[Dixielandjazz] company gig

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sat Mar 5 07:59:29 EST 2016

Since 2008 are gigs for company functions has taken a big drop, but
fortunately they are slowly coming back.  A few months ago Ernst & Young
took us up to Barcelona for a company gig, and last night we played for an
Orthodontist Convention in Madrid.

Have a look at a video I shot while the band was playing a rather modern
version of "Caravan".  The trumpeter is a young Russian who often
substitutes for our regular trumpeter.  Here he has a bit of a "talk" with
the pianist at the end of his solo which (you can see in the video) he
enjoyed greatly.  It's really fun when those sort of moments happen in a
band.

I was taking the video, so all you can see of me is my horn on the stand &
mutes on the floor!  We're dressed in our "function" clothes, which I guess
in the U.S. would be frowned on as being corny.  In Spain, we always get
compliments about the colorful vests (which were a gift from J & B Whiskey),
as there are no misunderstood undercurrents here about such
dress....fortunately.

The video:
https://youtu.be/-wxOcUnY1M0

Jim